Home > > Veterinary Certificates when Exporting Livestock

Veterinary Certificates when Exporting Livestock

By: Dave Howell - Updated: 17 Nov 2010 | comments*Discuss
Veterinary Certificates When Exporting Livestock

If your business will import any livestock and/or products that are of animal origin (this can include eggs, honey, fur or fish) into the UK from any country outside of the EU (European Union) usually referred to as a Third Country, your consignments will be governed by the Community Veterinary Checks Regime. This regime requires that all your consignments of livestock or any other goods that are of animal origin that pass through a Border Inspection Post (BIP) must have the correct health certificates attached to them.

Border Inspection Post

It is important that your business understands how BIPs operate as they govern the movement of livestock and products of animal origin into the UK. When your consignments arrive at a BIP for clearance they must have all their appropriate certificates and other supporting documents. More information about BIPs and health certificates is on the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) website.

Livestock Certificates

To successfully move your livestock or products of animal origin through customs at the BIP, you must pre-notify the BIP officials of the arrival of your transport. A fee will usually have to be paid to clear your goods through customs. Once your livestock etc. have been cleared, you will be issued with a CVED (Common Veterinary Entry Document).

Not all goods will need a CVED, imported wool for instances does not require this document. It is important that your business keeps up-to-date about the changes that are made to the health certificate system. Review the advice and directives on the Defra website regularly to ensure your business complies with all the required regulations. Failure to do so could mean a fine and your goods being seized at the BIP. The HM Revenue and Customs Notice 701/15 should be understood by your business as it details any customs duty you may have to pay when you transport goods into the UK.

Organic Products

If your business will be importing any products of animal origin that are also defined as organic, your goods must also be accompanied by form OB8. This is the certificate of inspection form that the country where the organic produce originated that certifies that the goods meet the definition of organic. None approved countries must have authorisation from Defra to export their organic goods to the UK

Veterinary Certificates

Health certificates should accompany all the livestock you transport into the UK. The health certificate itself must be endorsed (stamped) to show that the livestock you are moving into the UK meet all the health regulations set out by the EU. The stamped documents shows the BIP officials that this is the case. The veterinary certificate is the country of origin’s guarantee that the livestock are healthy and meet all requirements.

The veterinary certificate allows the BIP to inspect your goods and issue the CVED. The CVED comes in two parts. Part 1 is completed by your business, or whoever is representing your business at the BIP. Part 2 is completed by the official veterinarian that is stationed at the BIP. A fully completed CVED is also necessary to support the tracking of your imports via the TRACES (Trade Control and Expert System) that is used by all businesses when they import goods into the UK.

Exporting Livestock and Goods of Animals Origin

If your business will transport livestock and any products that contain a component that is of animal origin, all the goods you export must have a Export Health Certificate (EHC). You can obtain these certificates from the electronic system known as EOL (Export On Line). The Defra website has more information about how to apply to use the EOL system. Remember that exports are defined as any goods you transport to a country outside of the EU.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word: